As many of you know, Catalyst is Burton Group's premiere enterprise IT event. For the analysts, Catalyst is the culmination of hours of hard work packed into 3+ content-laden days. For the attendees, Catalyst is a wealth of in-depth information delivered in waves of 30 minute presentations...it's like drinking from an IT information fire hose. For those of you who have attended Catalyst before, you know what I'm talking about. Veteran attendees also know that Burton Group offers special pricing promotions through our blog posts. Well, this year is no different. Register using the promotion code "INSIDER" and you'll receive a discounted price of €999.00.
Now normally, Catalyst Europe is held in October. This year however, Burton Group decided to move Catalyst Europe to April to better align with our attendees schedules (many attendees are just coming back from holiday in October). What does that mean? Well, for the research teams, the date shift has given us 6 additional months to prepare, research, and refine our content for the show. For Burton Group, Catalyst is the place where we set some clear stakes in the ground, meet customers face-to-face, and focus our research...it's a cathartic process. So to me, it feels like Burton Group is bursting at the seams with the best content we've had in years.This year, the Data Center Theme/Track is "Virtualization: Transforming IT Infrastructure" and will focus on building out the dynamic data center and internal clouds. There are two session topics in these track:
- Virtualized Data Centers: Servers, Storage, Networks and Security -- The sessions in this topic will focus on building internal clouds using server virtualization and address the implications on security, storage, networks, and management.
- Getting Started with Client Virtualization --These sessions will help customers understand the various client virtualization options, the current state of the client virtualization technology, and how enterprises can build start a client virtualization pilot.
In addition, we are introducing our newest service -- cloud computing -- to Catalyst Europe. Although Burton Group launched our Cloud Computing service in April 2009, Catalyst EU 2010 will be the first time we've had a chance to address cloud computing to our European customers.
Cloud computing is quickly moving beyond the definitional phase, that is why this year's theme is "Enterprise Ready Clouds: Realistic Strategies". We feel that customers are attempting to devise a realistic cloud adoption strategy and searching for enterprise ready cloud solutions that can meet enterprise application requirements. The Cloud Computing track has 3 cloud topics with some fascinating sessions including:
- Leveraging the Cloud: What's Possible, What' s Not -- The sessions in this topic are focused on helping customers devise a viable cloud adoption strategy including the steps toward developing a cloud strategy, cloud security, cloud liability and risk management, data compliance in the cloud and leveraging cloud to achieve business objectives.
- Building and Using Cloud Infrastructure --These sessions will target hardware Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) technologies, risk and pitfalls, current state of the art and vendor options and connecting internal clouds to external.
- Applications and Data in the Cloud: Why, When, and How -- This topic will take an in-depth look at Platform and Software as a service (PaaS, SaaS), cloud application development, and cloud data management.
As research director, I couldn't be more pleased with the content we're producing this year. The topics and sessions we're offering delve into some of the most fascinating subjects in enterprise computing today. In my opinion, this year's Catalyst will be our best content yet. Hope to see you in Prague!